Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Camping

It's been two weeks since we left to go camping and I'm just now getting to blog about it.  Oh well, I'm giving up on the day that I can keep up with my blog.  :-)  So, anyway, two weeks ago today we went to Lake Mills to go camping for the first time.  We tried not to have high expectations for how it would go....especially since it was the first time and we were going with a 5 year old, 4 year old, 2 year old and almost 7 month old.  Oh, we were also going TENT camping.  So, we left home and drove a little over an hour to Grandpa & Grandma's house to drop off Ruby.  Then drove about a 1/2 hour to the camping area.  By this time I think the kids were already bored!  LOL  We unloaded what we needed to get set up and Paul got the tent set up.  I helped as much as possible.  The good thing is now I look back and I know that the time setting up did not go smoothly, but I can't remember it!  :-)  I think that's the best part...I remember the good times and not all the crabby times, even though I know there were definitely those times.  After we got the tent set up we went into town to go swimming at the lake.  We decided to go ahead and go to the beach that we had to pay for so it would be nicer and not as busy.  When we got to the beach I sat down to start blowing up the arm wings and such.  Paul grabbed Levi and took him out to the water to see if he was going to like it.  The other 3 kids followed him.  Unfortunately, as you went into the lake it was all rocks and some slippery...so Lydia lost her balance and fell face first into the water and couldn't get back up.  She was only under a couple seconds, but it scared her enough that she didn't want to go back in and when we did get her back in she wouldn't let go of us.  She did enjoy playing in the sand and at the edge of the water though.  She got a little braver the next day and got a little more in while she was playing.  On a side note, a few days later we went to my parents' house and she was playing great in their pool!  Ok, so back to camping....We had fun at the beach for a couple hours then decided it was time to go back and start a fire for supper.  We had to stop for worms and ice though on the way.  When we got in the car we realized Grandpa had tried calling and wanted to come see us (he was in town that day at the EMS garage).  So, we called him and he hadn't left town yet, so he met us and then came out to the campsite with us.  We then called Grandma to see if she wanted to come out for hot dogs and 'smores.  She came right out!  So, we enjoyed the first evening with them.  After they left we started putting food and things away and got the kids ready for bed while we still had some light.  It was hot in the tent so we knew it would take them a while to settle down and go to sleep.  It was a little hard to get them to settle down, but they eventually did.  Then before Paul and I could go to sleep we heard some noises outside the tent.  We got the flashlight and realized there were raccoons out there.  We thought we had all the food put away, but realized there were traces left.  Paul finally had to get out of the tent to get them to go away...honestly, I was really afraid for him to get out, but didn't know what else we could do.  They finally left.  Then we were able to go to sleep.  Of course the kids were up at first light the next morning.  We got breakfast done and then went swimming again.  Oh, both days Levi took a nap at the beach so it worked out great.  We decided that night that it was so hot that we needed to find something to do inside.  They were also calling for storms so we figured if we were indoors somewhere then we could judge the storm and decide if we were going to sleep in the tent or find somewhere else to go.  So, we went bowling!  We ended up being the only people there so that was great.  We didn't have to worry about if the kids were in anyone's way or anything.  Ok, so even with the bumpers up I was beat by a 4 year old!  Daddy beat everyone big time!  LOL  I was just proud of Michael for being able to bowl all by himself (the normal way) and Grace had help the first few times then was able to do it on her own (putting it on the floor and rolling it).  Lydia had to have help carrying the ball over and putting it down.  Then daddy helped her a few times push the ball down.  She did do most of them on her own too.  We made it all the way to the last frame before a ball got stuck at the end of the lane!  LOL  We all had a good time!  When we went back to the tent we were not sure about what was going to happen if it stormed.  It was already pretty windy.  Paul was texting with my sister to see what the weather reports were.  We found out the storm wasn't supposed to come through till 1.  Ok, again in all honesty, I was a little nervous that night.  I was nervous about the storm coming and not knowing how bad it would be and worried the raccoons would come back.  Then while we're laying there trying to go to sleep we hear a very strange noise.  I thought it sounded like fireworks or gun shots.  Paul said he didn't think that's what it was, but didn't say much more.  Then we kept hearing the same noises every little bit.  I was not going to sleep at all!  Then there was a very loud crashing sound and I realized it was a tree falling!!!  When I said this, then Paul says, "yea that's what I thought it was".  He knew the whole time, but didn't want to worry me (since we were right under a couple big trees).  LOL  I was worried more by not knowing what the sound was.  After that I started seeing lightening.  So, then I was counting to see how far away the storm was.  I started drifting off to sleep and then started hearing the thunder.  The storm came in and went out in probably 10 minutes and wasn't too bad.  Finally after the storm went through I was able to go to sleep.  Needless to say that meant I didn't get much sleep since again the kids were up very early.  Paul tried to take Lydia fishing that morning since she was the first awake...we were trying to keep the others asleep for a while too.  They couldn't really get close enough to the water to do good fishing.  But, it was cooler that morning and I think the kids were more used to camping.  They were so good that morning and did good while we got things packed up.  I've probably left some things out (even though this was really long) because I didn't do this right away.  But, all in all, we had a good first camping trip and are already trying to plan our next trip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment